Friday, May 21, 2010

Chapter 17 - LOW GRAVITY

There was no cryo-sleep this trip since we were lifting off from an asteroid. I was the only passenger, and when the captain saw that I was on crutches, he cut the gravity down to about ten percent of standard. That meant I didn’t have to use my crutches at all for the entire trip.

To stay in shape, I was introduced to the small exercise room. Most ships have something of the sort so the crew can stay in shape. It was full of resistance machines designed to work muscles without the benefit of gravity. I spent as many hours as I could stand in there every day of my trip.

The first officer offered to spar with me, but when he found out that I had only just purchased my gear, our sparring matches turned into lessons of a sort. The low gravity made the whole ordeal interesting to say the least.

I felt like such a klutz. It’s easy to swing a sword in low gravity. The hard part is stopping it so you can swing it again. I reduced the guy to helpless fits of giggles at least a dozen times a day. I wasn’t mad at him for laughing at me; I just wished I could see me through his eyes. I’m sure I was very funny.

At the end of our last lessen before landing, he told me I was very dangerous. I’m not exactly sure what he meant by that; he was still giggling at the time.

After spending more than a month in less than full gravity, I thought the landing would never end; the ride was very rough. The two-week trip was the best I’ve ever had though.

No comments: