Friday, May 20, 2011

Chapter 69 - APPROVAL

The doctor came some time later. He found me still huddled in the center of the room, shaking like a leaf. I had finally been able to tap my pent-up magic, but it felt like I had opened the spigot and now I couldn’t close it.

“Liam, are you all right?” asked the doctor. Patricia was at his elbow and I could taste her fear.

“No, I’m not all right. I have to go home. I have to go right now before this happens again. I can’t control it. I can only hope my teachers can.”

“The emperor has already sent his approval. We didn’t think you would be ready to travel for another couple months at the very earliest, but the emperor has ordered it.”

“Hurry.”

“I’ll begin making the arrangements today.”

“Begin by putting me in cryo-sleep until we get there.”

“But, Liam…”

“It’s a must, doctor, an absolute must, and it must be done immediately. No one can afford for this to happen again.”

The two of them picked me up off the floor. On our way out the door, the doctor ordered the guard to bring a portable cryo-pod from the spaceport. It would be a couple hours before they could return. I hope I can last that long.

I needn’t have worried. As soon as we reached the doctor’s office, he pumped me full of drugs. My magic stirred, but didn’t fight it off. Before I fell asleep I asked, “Patricia, please forgive me. Please…” I wanted her to be there when I woke up. I needed her to be there. The drugs kept me from hearing any response.

No comments: