Friday, August 19, 2011

Chapter 82 - DANCING RAIN

The next morning, I got a better look at the damage this farmer had sustained. At least three quarters of his crops had been wiped out. I thought about recreating the fields. It could be done, but the job would probably compare with bringing water from the other side of the planet.

“Don’t worry about them,” said Carm. “They have plenty of friends. They won’t go hungry because of this.”

It started to rain and Carm cast a wary eye up to the clouds. “What’s wrong?” I asked, “Rain would be a good thing, wouldn’t it?”

“Its nearly harvest time,” he tried to explain. “A little rain would be fine right here but too much could ruin everyone’s crops.”

Of course, I came to the logical conclusion. “Tell me when enough is enough.” I strode out into the center of the blackened field.

“What are you going to do now?” Carm called after me.

“Watch this,” said Haines. “I think we’re going to be in for a real treat.”

“He’s going to try to gather all the rain, isn’t he?” said Carm in amazement.

“I think so,” replied Haines.

“Can he do that?”

“I’ve seen him do some amazing things with water, and all in play too. This may be tough on him so soon after the fire, but I think he can handle it all right.”

I let Haines brag for me. The praise felt good. By the time I reached the top of a small hill, my boots were covered with black mud; I’d poured a lot of water on this fire.

I stopped and looked back to where the others were gathered. Carm touched the ground at his feet and then gazed off across what remained of the field nearest them. I could see him put his head together with the farmer and nod and then he raised his hand and waved at me.

I began to dance. This was a far-reaching one. I reached out for all the rain in the sky; I searched for miles around me, and I whirled it around at the direction of my sword tip. Soon all the raindrops were orbiting me each in their own path until they splashed into each other creating new balls of water. Then I drew in the water-laden clouds and immersed myself in the fog.

With the water drops spinning through the wet fog, the cloud soon surrendered to the water, then I channeled it down between my feet and into the water table below me. For the next several hours, I was the center of another kind of hurricane. One, I’m pleased to say, was completely at my command.

When it was all gone, I lowered my sword. The task had left me tired and yet energized at the same time. The giddy feeling I had always felt after handling water with my magic left me feeling like I could fly. I knew I’d come down eventually, but I fully enjoyed it now.

No comments: