Friday, October 14, 2011

Chapter 90 - CARM

I ran forward through the blood-splattered hallway and into the room they had been guarding. Inside, I found Carm lying on a bed. This room had once been a rather nice room, but it had seen some abuse since the last time anyone had done any cleaning.

It was obvious that Carm had been lying here exclusively since he had been captured. He reached a swollen and bruised, almost unrecognizable hand out to me. “Liam, Liam, I knew it was you.” The hand sank back to the bed. “Liam, they did something to me. I can’t walk. I can’t even sit up enough to figure out what they did.”

I knew what they did. I could tell by the shapeless ballooning in his limbs (I touched his knee just to be sure); “They removed your bones, Carm. How bad is it?”

“I don’t know. Everything hurts too much. I can’t tell any more.”

“Where’s Tsan?”

“He was here until just a few minutes ago. When you called out, that man came in and sent him somewhere else. I have no idea where.”

I hoped he had been sent somewhere else. I touched Carm’s forehead. He was running a high fever. “I’m going to try and help you, but I don’t have the time to fix things. More than likely it’ll put you to sleep. I hope it does. Then I’m going to send you to your old home. It’s the safest place I can think of. I’ll fix everything later when this is all over.”

He closed his eyes with a ragged sigh.

I voiced my worries. “I’ve never done this before. I don’t know if I can,”

“You just do whatever you can. Anything you do will be better than this.”

I suppose he was right. It didn’t matter whether he survived the move; even death would be an improvement to this agony. And if I couldn’t fix him, he’d die anyway eventually. I gritted my teeth and used what I had learned back on Earth. I didn’t have time to recreate his missing bone structure, but I could clear up some of his problems. I cleared up most of the bruising and reduced a lot of the swelling. Soon he was sleeping just as I had hoped, but my time was up. I heard shouting from below and stepped to the window to see what there might be to see.

I didn’t get the chance to notice much more than the fact that night was falling before my attention was brought back inside by the sound of a small table falling over behind me. I turned to see that the floor where I had been standing had begun to dissolve. The hole got bigger and was about to reach the bed where Carm slept. Time was up; I braced myself and sent him away. I hope he made it.

No comments: