Friday, November 4, 2011

Chapter 93 - BONES

The sight of my shaking hands brought memories of Carm and his swollen limbs to my numb mind. I had promised to fix things as soon as this was all over. I cleaned and sheathed my blades and then pushed myself to my feet to stagger in that direction. I intended to keep that promise.

Oskan caught my arm. “Liam, slow down. You should rest. It’s over.”

I pulled away from him and kept going. I had yet to spend as much magic as when I had fought the fire, but it was far more than I had done for a while. I couldn’t allow myself to let Carm down when he needed me. I had been too late for Tsan and I had yet to see Larak, but I knew where Carm was and that’s were I was headed.

With Oskan and Durmas flanking me, I wove my way to the farmhouse where I had (hopefully) sent Carm. It seemed to be farther away than I remembered, but I made it there eventually.



The people at the house had made Carm as comfortable as they could without moving him more than they had to. They had pulled the rug he had appeared on closer to the fireplace and built up the fire on the hearth. They also cushioned him with many pillows and blankets.

“He just appeared here,” said a middle-aged woman from behind her husband’s shoulder. “I didn’t know what else to do for him.”

I dropped to my knees beside him. “You did good.” I touched Carm’s forehead. He was still fevered. He sighed and shifted slightly, but didn’t wake.

I closed my eyes and sought the memories of my lessons with the doctor over Colin. The situation and the person were very different but the information would still be useful.

“Do you have a baston here?” I asked.

“Yes I do, out in the barn, but why,” said the man.

“Kill it, bleed it and hang it. Do it now,” I said. “And have another ready. One should be enough but just in case…”

“I don’t understand.” the man began to protest, but Durmas gave him a nod and he went to do as he was asked.

By the time he came back into the house and handed his wife the bloody knife, I had regained some of my energy.

I let the magic flow. I used the farmer as an example and began to recreate Carm’s bones. At first Carm tried to struggle. He moaned in pain and his struggles caused even more pain.

I had to squelch his movements, so I essentially paralyzed him, then I dampened the pain; unfortunately, there was no way to take all of the pain away. Fortunately, just like before, he soon fell into a deep sleep.

Some time later – it could have been hours – there was a quiet commotion behind me. Someone had entered the house without the customary formalities and the ensuing excitement was quickly hushed so as not to disturb my concentration.

Much of Carm’s bones had been reconstructed though there was still a good deal of refining left to do. I pulled away for a brief break to see what all the excitement was.

No comments: